Usually, a woman learns early on that she is not only pregnant, but twice pregnant. This often raises more than twice as many questions during the first period of pregnancy - and you are already quite busy if you expect only one child. Almost every 60th pregnancy in Germany is a twin pregnancy, with more than 20, 000 twins born to us every year.
Identical twins rarer than dizygotic
While we almost always think of identical twins in twins, it is more common for twins to be dizygotic: they are formed from two different egg cells that are fertilized more or less simultaneously by two different sperm, and then their mum does not stop Sharing birth (like other siblings), but already during pregnancy together in the uterus nest. These twins are as related as any other sibling, meaning that they are not necessarily very similar, may be of different sex, and have very different interests.
In the case of identical twins, a division of the fertilized egg at an early stage during the first few days of pregnancy results in two embryos that are genetically identical, ie have the same genetic make-up and are often confusingly similar. They always have the same gender.
Particularities of pregnancy
Being pregnant with twins brings with it a few peculiarities during pregnancy:
- Take care of all checkups. A twin pregnancy can, but does not have to be, complicated. With regular checks of your gynecologist, you play it safe.
- You do not have to eat for three or take special care. Your doctor can give you many tips to help you feel good about your pregnancy.
- A doctor with twin pregnancies, a hospital that knows about twin births, and a midwife who has taken care of twin moms many times will be able to give you a lot of care, provide you with all the important information, and make you feel good. Surround yourself early with these important helpers - it will reassure you.
- Unfortunately, twins tend to be born a little earlier sometimes. Therefore, start your preparations for the new earthlings early and do not plan to start in the last week of pregnancy.
So many budding twin-mom sees itself already in mountains of laundry and diapers sinking - but what do you really need?
Buy everything twice? Consider whether it is really practical to put your kids in the same wardrobe. Do you really want to change both when a child has been spotted? Before you buy huge amounts of laundry, you may want to contact other twin mothers and ask about their experiences. Often a generously dimensioned initial equipment and only a cot is enough at the beginning completely.
Note delivery time: Twin strollers often have longer delivery times - plan this when buying. Does this fit in your car / stairwell / bus / through the door?
Important Items: Many twin mothers swear by the seesaw and nursing pillows needed to feed two hungry children. Make a list of items that you think are indispensable and talk to experienced twin mothers about the meaning and nonsense of those purchases. Are you unsure, buy only once used.
Naming: Ernie and Bert, Max and Moritz, Fritz and Fratz - such names make it difficult for your children to build their own identity. Maybe you can make friends with names that - especially with identical twins - do not contribute additionally to the confusion. Your children will thank you later.
Plan for help early
If you come out of the hospital, you'll be glad to support some helpful hands - especially if you've had a cesarean delivery, for example.
- Check with your health insurance company to see if she will cover the cost of a maid who will support you for a few hours a day or a week. If you select them before you give birth and assign them, then your new life starts with less stress. In addition, there are volunteer helpers in some cities who come in and take a job.
- Some parents opt for an au pair to better meet the new requirements. Get in touch with an au pair agency; She helps you with the selection and the formalities.
- Her husband should discuss with his employer that he needs leave during the time around the birth (well, two or three weeks). If possible, it would be useful to keep this period flexible as twins are often born earlier and almost never await the due date.
- Discuss with parents, siblings and friends who can help you in the first time. This can be in the form of a shopping service, even something cooked from another source will be welcome. If you already have children, maybe someone could do something nice with your older child - so it does not feel like being unimportant.