During the construction of the Egyptian pyramids, the workers were provided with onions and radishes to be able to do the hard labor. Because onions are considered a secret of vitality and strength. And until today, the reputation of the onion has been preserved as an elixir of life. And she is also an amazing remedy. For example, onions can influence sugar metabolism and cholesterol levels.
In Garlic, Onion & Co put undreamt of healing powers
Onions exert a strong irritant effect on the digestive system, especially on the liver, bile and pancreas. However, they also contain the herbal active substance glucokinin, which, like the insulin of the pancreas, promotes the metabolism of sugars and thus lowers the sugar content in the blood.
The disinfecting power of the onion was already used in the Middle Ages for protection against plague and cholera. But even today the onion and its spicy-tasting siblings are good for medical surprises:
- The sulfur-containing ingredients of onion and garlic protect cell walls and cholesterol from the attack of free radicals and thus counteract vascular occlusions such as heart attack or stroke.
- Garlic and onions, with their ingredients allicin and ajoene, have a similar effect to acetylsalicylic acid, which is now used by many people in low doses as a prevention of thrombosis and myocardial infarction.
- Onions or garlic also help to cope better with radioactive radiation. After the nuclear accident at Chernobyl, Russian scientists had found that even relatively small doses of radiation caused changes in the blood vessels such as arteriosclerosis and disorders in lipid metabolism. On the other hand, they recommended onion and garlic, as their ingredients increase blood flow and lower cholesterol levels.
- The sulfur-containing onion ingredients directly affect cholesterol formation in the liver. They inhibit the formation of the "bad" LDL and promote the "good" HDL.
- Scientists from East Birmingham Hospital in England report that zinc deficiency is a contributing factor to the emergence of age spots. When eating foods rich in zinc, such as onions, the spots may disappear again.
- Ingredients of the onion provide inconspicuous scars after injury or surgery. From the ninth week after wound care, regular scar care must be done with a gel of onion extract. The gel is massaged into the scar area twice daily for ten to twenty minutes.
How to apply the onion
Onion syrup for cough and cold: Slice several large onions and mix with brown sugar. Let it rest for twelve hours. The juice which is formed, is taken several times a day by tablespoons. Alternative: The onions are steamed with rock sugar, the resulting syrup is taken teaspoonful hourly.
Onion porridge for external treatment (inflammation, hemorrhoids, abscesses): Mix the chopped onions raw with a little water to a porridge and apply to the affected parts of the body.
Onion: calories and ingredients
|Ingredients (each per 100 g edible portion)||Leek||spring onion||chives|
|Folic acid (μg)||56||54||20|
|Vitamin C (mg)||30||26||47|