How To Find The Right Dentist To Use An Implant
An implant as a solid, pleasant dentures should be. But how do you find a suitable dentist for this treatment? After all, it's about an intervention that requires a lot of know-how and experience. "If you are looking for a specialist, there are various ways to get information, " says Dr. Silke Liebrecht proDente expert and senior physician at the Center for Dental, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of the University of Cologne.
It depends on the experience
The best recommendation is a satisfied patient. If you want to have an implant inserted, you can first of all listen to your friends - maybe some acquaintances already have good experiences with implants with a certain dentist. "Which doctor has specialized in implantation, also show the appropriate information on the practice shield or in the phone book, " explains Dr. med. Liebrecht.
Who officially states the "focus on implantology" must meet certain criteria that have been determined by the various medical societies in the field of implant dentistry. The dentists must have completed training and also have a predetermined number of implants used - at least 50 per year, at least 200 in total.
How to find these specialists:
- Via the websites of the individual medical societies - such as the German Society for Implantology,
- German Society of Dental Implantology,
- Federal Association of established implant dentists and dentists
- About the German Center for Oral Implantology (BDZI).
If you would like to find out more about your dental association, you will be in contact with your chamber at proDente. Does the dentist implant himself, or does he initiate a consultation and preliminary work, but does he work with an implantologist who sets the implant?
Do not be afraid to ask
- Does the dentist carry out a careful and careful planning? In addition to the clinical examination, there should be an X-ray image and planning models of the jaw, with the help of which the dentist can also explain the procedure to the patient. The diagnosis also includes the clarification of other diseases - possibly in collaboration with other doctors of the patient.
- How many implants has he already used? An indication of sufficient experience may be, for example, the minimum numbers mentioned above.
- Does the dentist work with a master dental laboratory? The production of implant-borne crowns, bridges and prostheses (superstructures) also requires special knowledge and skills from the dental technician. The master dental technician has the highest qualification.
- Is the dentist getting away? Often dentists depend on evidence of their training in practice. In addition, patients can specifically ask and assess the doctor's response.
- Does the practice offer comprehensive prophylaxis and professional teeth cleaning? Even after inserting implants, the denture should be given regular professional teeth cleaning to ensure optimal oral hygiene - ideally, implant placement and follow-up should take place in the same practice.
- What exactly depends on the patient? The dentist should take time to explain all treatment steps and educate about risks.
- What does the implant cost the patient? Because the statutory health insurance companies usually do not cover the costs and the private health insurances may only cover part of the costs, it should be clarified before the treatment what costs are incurred and what amount the patient has to bear. For this purpose, a written treatment and cost plan should be drawn up, which the patient can submit to his health insurance company for cost regulation.