What to do with poisoning?

Mostly, they just want to find out what the interesting green juice that Mama always uses to rinse the dishes tastes good. Or they want to taste the colorful sweets, the grandma swallows morning and evening. There is no limit to the curiosity of small children, and one's own household is still the most dangerous place with regard to poisoning.

Detergents as a special hazard

The industry has responded to this in some cases: Some detergents are now added to bitter substances that taste so bad that they are spat out immediately by children. Botherders look attractive on toddlers like cleaning products

  • Dishwashing liquid,
  • Sanitary cleaner or
  • All-purpose cleaner.

The striking bottles with the attractive colored liquids are found in every household and often too accessible for children. And it's not always easy to see that the child has been poisoned and above all with what.

Recognize a poisoning

For parents, the alarm bells should ring when the child tells of a nasty taste experience or presents an empty pack. An external indication of poisoning may be traces of the toxic substance on the mouth, face and hands, or severely reddened mucous membranes of the eyes and lips. For certain substances, such as alcohol, solvents, cosmetics or tobacco, a strong bad breath may be an indication. Tobacco also causes a brownish discoloration of the saliva.

Other signs of poisoning:

  • sudden changes in the child's behavior, such as tiredness, agitation, shaking, insecurity when walking
  • salivation
  • spasmodic abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • Headache, dizziness
  • Consciousness clouding, apathy, unconsciousness

In the worst case, you may face respiratory distress, respiratory arrest, shock and cardiovascular failure.

What to do with poisoning?

  • Are there any leftovers in the mouth of the child? Try wiping them with a finger from the mouth.
  • If the toxin is known and the child shows no symptoms of poisoning, call poison emergency or pediatrician.
  • Otherwise: call for medical help on the 112 emergency call or go to an ambulance immediately. Keep all (suspected) remnants of the vomit or vomit and take it with you to the doctor.
  • Do not give the child anything to eat or drink. Especially milk is dangerous. Because contrary to popular belief, it is not useful in the case of poisoning, but causes the poison is absorbed more quickly in the blood.
  • Do not allow child to vomit purposefully.
  • Watch breathing and circulation.
  • Attention when taking in highly corrosive substances! They are mainly contained in dishwashers, toilet and household cleaners.

The following applies: Have the child drink a lot to dilute the toxic substance (water, tea, but not carbonated drinks, no milk). Under no circumstances should the child vomit (risk of burns from the esophagus and mouth!).

    How can poisoning be prevented?

    • First aid medications: Add activated charcoal and a defoamer as a first aid medication for the case of poisoning in your household pharmacy; In addition, the number of the poison emergency call center should also be found here. Get advice on the medicines from your pediatrician or pharmacist.
    • Medicines (also to be taken several times a day) belong in a lockable medicine chest cabinet. Cleaning, rinsing and washing agents should also be kept closed.
    • Look for child-resistant closures for chemicals. Never refill them in food packaging.
    • Keep in mind that anything you throw away can be found by your child in the trash can or trash.
    • Make your handbag childproof: if it is ransacked by the child, it should not be able to find perfume, cigarettes or medicine.
    • Tobacco: Never leave cigarette butts and packages lying around openly. Even the smallest remains of tobacco can cause poisoning in the child.
    • Alcohol: Always keep alcohol in closable or unattainable closets. Even small amounts of alcohol are very dangerous for toddlers.
    • Poisonous plants: Avoid poisonous plants in the garden or on the balcony, for example: arnica, arum, henbane, raw green beans, thorn thorn, dieffenbachia, yew, monkshood, foxglove, laburnum, autumnal times, cacti (with poisonous spines), lupine, Lily of the valley, daffodil, oleander, castor, poppy, hemlock, datura, belladonna, poinsettia, hogweed, turnip, green and unripe potatoes, green, unripe tomatoes.
    • Cosmetics such as nail polish and remover, perfume, hair fixative, body spray, skin care products are often kept easily accessible to children. Even the inhalation of gases can cause symptoms of intoxication.
    • Mini batteries: They can be swallowed by children. Highly toxic chemicals (for example, mercury oxide) can be released.

    If the child regularly stays in other households (grandparents, childminder, etc.), the precautionary measures apply there as well.

    Brochure: Attention! Toxic! Poisoning accidents in children Find out about all "common" types of poisoning in children (detergents, alcohol, nicotine, cosmetics, poisonous plants, etc.). The brochure can be downloaded free of charge from the website das-sichere-haus.de or ordered in paper form.

    Share with friends

    Leave your comment