A middle ear infection itself is not contagious. Contagious, however, is the common cold, which usually precedes this. Whether these germs in the infected child only cause cough and runny nose or then a middle ear infection, is individually different. What to do against a middle ear infection? Can antibiotics help? If you have earache you should consult your doctor. This can be determined from a simple ear reflexology, whether there is a middle ear infection and a tympanic effusion.
What helps with middle ear infection?
Ask the doctor if your child needs to stay away from kindergarten or school. Swimming should be avoided for a few weeks. If middle ear infections occur again and again, chlorine water should be avoided. Most of the time the doctor will examine the ear again after one month to rule out permanent disturbances.
- Whether antibiotics are necessary to treat a middle ear infection, the doctor decides - depending on the investigation, pain, age and general condition. It is now known that 4 out of 5 acute middle ear infections heal by themselves. Studies have shown that while antibiotics shorten the duration of pain (which can be achieved with painkillers), but usually do not significantly affect the other course.
- Painkillers such as ibuprofen juice or paracetamol suppositories help against pain and fever in the context of a middle ear infection.
- Decongestant nose drops are sometimes prescribed now and then; However, studies have shown no effect in the middle ear infection.
- Antibiotic ear drops are ineffective in intact eardrum, as they do not reach the middle ear. If the eardrum is inflamed, however, deafening ear drops help against the pain.
It is not recommended to fly during an acute middle ear infection. The mucous membranes and the passageway between the nasopharynx are swollen, which makes pressure equalization impossible. This leads to severe pain, in the worst case, hearing loss and permanent impairment.
Home remedies and homeopathy for middle ear infections
As with any feverish infection, your child should also take care of a middle ear infection and drink enough. Suitable are water, diluted fruit and vegetable juices and herbal or cold remedies. As a home remedy for middle ear infections, especially the onion has been proven; but other measures from homeopathy and home remedies are used.
- Medicinal Plants & Wraps: Warm ear wraps have an amazing effect on middle ear inflammation in many children. If you do not mind the smell, onion sacs are especially effective against pain and inflammation, otherwise chamomile is an alternative. Even a hot water bottle relieves the pain.
- Homeopathy: A middle ear infection with an acute onset of high fever may help Aconitum or alternatively Belladonna. With less severe onset, Pulsatilla may be the drug of choice.
- The pharmacy also offers combination preparations (for example Otovowen®) that stimulate the immune system and help against inflammation, pain and phlegm.