As if by magic, they suddenly appear, and usually they disappear by themselves after some time - we are talking about warts. Especially in the summer when barefoot running in swimming pools you get only too quickly Dornwarzen on the soles. Not always good for prevention by bathing sandals. The dermatologist and one or the other natural remedies help.
Warts: not always harmless
What you need above all is patience, because warts are usually harmless skin lesions that almost always disappear without treatment after some time, except for the painful plantar warts.
Warts, of which 66 types are known, are caused by an infectious virus, the HPV (Human Papilloma Virus). It exists virtually anywhere in the world and most people will eventually become infected with warts, often just when their defenses are depressed.
Warts are usually harmless - with one exception: genital warts, which are found in mucous membranes in the genital area, are suspected of even causing cancer.
Plantar warts grow inside
Normally warts cause no pain, but the plant warts - nomen est omen - hurt, because they develop on the soles of the feet and grow inwards. You can see them on a thick cornea, interspersed with red and black dots.
Plantar warts multiply on their feet. Wart viruses invade the very smallest skin injuries and prefer damp, soaked skin, which can not be avoided when swimming and in the sauna.
They spread out if they are accidentally scratched or if you try to remove them yourself. This should be left to the dermatologist.
Why are warts?
Warts have less to do with hygiene than a weakened defense system. The susceptibility of our body to warts can be triggered by:
- mental stress
- excessive physical effort
- Pregnancies, heavy operations
- certain systemic diseases
But also factors that cause a metabolic disorder or injury to the skin surface and thereby create favorable infection conditions and increase the risk of infection are decisive.
Risk of infection in swimming pools and sports
Infections are threatened except in swimming pools in gyms and changing rooms, in the sauna, in gyms and in hotel rooms, so wherever you occasionally walk barefoot and where many people are. The incubation period is four weeks to eight months.
Bath sandals offer a certain protection, good drying between the toes and clean towels reduce the risk of infection. People who suffer from warts on a regular basis, for example, should also cover gymnastic mats or the seats in the sauna with specially brought towels.
Which means help?
As soon as the annoying corneal growths come, they often disappear again. However, if they stay for a few years, the likelihood of them disappearing without a wart remover decreases. Here are important methods and means:
- Salicylic acid, as it is also contained in corn patches or the combination of salicylic acid and lactic acid. This treatment method is quite tedious, it lasts up to two months and must be carried out consistently.
- In homeopathy Thuja tincture is recommended, which is dabbed on the wart.
- Treatment with mono-chloroacetic acid. For this purpose, a small amount of acid is dabbed on the wart with a spatula and covered with a plaster. After one week, the mono-chloroacetic acid dissolved the top layer of the wart and the scab be removed along with the patch. The acid can only ever dissolve the top layer of the wart, so repeat the procedure until the wart has completely disappeared. If the wart does not disappear, soften the treated wart in a lukewarm saltwater bath and then remove the layer treated with the acid solution. Protect the surrounding skin areas of the wart with a fat cream. The secure closure prevents the acid from accidentally leaking or being opened by children.
- A common method is freezing with liquid nitrogen or laser removal.
- Especially in the case of the plantar warts usually only a surgical treatment, that is a cutting out of the wart helps.
Otherwise, a general strengthening of the defenses is necessary, then decreases the susceptibility to wart viruses.