Many drugs are offered highly concentrated in the form of drop solutions. Because the drug is already dissolved in the drops, it is generally absorbed more quickly by the body. In addition, drops can be dosed much more individually than for example tablets. Drops are also used for the ears, nose and eyes. We give tips for dealing with drop solutions.
Application and dosage of drop solutions
Dealing with the dropper bottle is sometimes not easy. One differentiates between "Randtroppfern" and "Zentraltropfern".
- Randtropfer have a hole in the middle of the drip tray from which drips the liquid. The dropper must be kept at an angle so that the liquid can drip out.
- For central droppers, there is a second tube at the edge of the insert next to the small tube in the middle from which the drops come. It serves for ventilation. Centric droppers must be kept exactly vertical upside down, so that the correct drop size is achieved.
The exact handling is indicated on the leaflet of the drug. When dripping, make sure that the bottles are always well turned off. When liquid evaporates, the solution concentrates and the usual dosage contains more active ingredient than usual.
Correct dosing despite vision problems
Proper dosing of drops becomes difficult as eyesight wears off. If you see bad, but hear well, can help with a trick: You drop the drops in an empty yogurt cup and counts by ear. Unlike a teaspoon, the soundboard of a plastic cup is larger and you can spill less or drip off it. However, one has to concentrate very much on this method. The cup should then be rinsed immediately, and also used only for this purpose.
In any case, it is good for people with vision problems, to inform the doctor and z. B. instead of prescribing drops of tablets. For larger problems, the counting of the drops should be done by another person.
Always apply ear drops lukewarm because the ear canal is very temperature sensitive. To do this, you can warm the bottle between your hands while gently rocking it, but do not shake it.
For ear drops, place your head to the side and put a drop in the ear canal. Wait a bit before raising your head or leaning to the other side. You may be able to put on a small cotton wool plug from the outside, which keeps the liquid better in the ear. However, the wad must not be forced with force or force into the ear canal.
For the effective use of nose drops:
- Clean the nose before use.
- Put your head back and put a drop in each nostril.
- Then keep your head straight so that the liquid does not run into your throat.
Eye drops only work locally and therefore have few side effects. To prevent germination of the dripping solution, the appropriate dripper should not touch the eye. After opening, eye drops may be used for a maximum of four to six weeks (see package leaflet). Before use, they should be warmed by hand, because the eyes then tears less. Contact lenses must be removed before eye drops are applied. The dripping is easier, if one observes the following:
- Sit down, tilt your head back, and looking up, gently pull the lower lid forward and drip the solution into the lower conjunctival sac at the corner of your eye.
- Then close the lid for ten seconds.
- Blinking and rolling the eyeballs with closed eyelids, so that the active ingredients spread well.
- Always bring only one drop into the eye, possibly dribble again.
- For different preparations you should wait ten minutes between applications, otherwise interactions could occur. In addition, the drug stays longer on the eye.
- Artificial tears should not be dripped until fifteen minutes after other medicines.
Apply oily eye drops in the evening
Oily eye drops based on well-tolerated oils such as peanut or castor oil are more viscous than water-based drops. They stay in contact with the horn and conjunctiva longer. However, they hinder the view z. For example, when driving a car and should therefore be used in the evening. This also applies to eye ointments, which limit the vision even more and are often perceived as foreign bodies in the eye. Anyone who has problems with the dripping can, in addition to a targeted consultation, get drip aids in the pharmacy.