Triathlon - swimming, cycling, running

In Hawaii, most people think of holidays, sun, beach and recreation, while triathletes connect the island paradise with the origin of their sport, where the first triathlon was held in 1978. Endurance athletes want to find out whether swimmers, cyclists or runners are the better ones. Distances of 3.8 kilometers in the water, 180 kilometers by bike around 42.2 kilometers on foot had to be mastered, and the Ironman - one of the toughest triathlon competitions - was born.

As a result, smaller competitions such as "Everyman Triathlon" for beginners (500m swimming, 20 km cycling, 5 km running) and the Olympic distance (1.5 km swimming, 40 km cycling, 10 km running) developed. Whether competition or training - triathlon is fascinating. Many run the three endurance sports to gain not only a very high level of fitness, but also mental strength. Sport scientists agree that the combination of swimming, cycling and running puts a strain on the muscles and joints.

When swimming, the arm and trunk muscles are strengthened in the first place, while cycling and running the legs. Since all endurance sports also get the cardiovascular system going, and especially cycling and running are very close to human movement behavior, triathlon is also made for beginners.

Every beginning is difficult

Of course you should start slowly at first. The first competition does not focus on time but on getting there - "Finishers", as triathlon sports say: Older persons or people who have not practiced sport for a long time should be examined by a sports physician beforehand First, replace running training with hiking or wallowing to protect your joints.

A good basic stamina with 90 percent is the most important part of training. This one gets most effectively by "kilometer eaters". For example, long, quiet bike rides or slow stamina runs. The remaining 10 percent of training takes strength endurance and tempo training. The goal of basic endurance training is primarily to activate fat burning in the body. This is based on the heart rate, which should be as low as possible over longer distances - about 180 beats minus age.

The athlete performs the highest work while running, as the body weight of the bike is largely borne by the water while cycling. When cycling, the heart rate should therefore be slightly lower than when running and when swimming again a little lower than when cycling.

Share with friends

Leave your comment