Especially in winter, a special moisturizing care is important for skin care - especially for dry skin. Moisturizing donate appropriate skin care products, which in winter can be a bit more greasy than in the summer months. But it is also important to have sufficient air humidity in rooms, as dry heating air dries out the skin even more. Here are tips for skincare in winter.
This keeps your skin healthy in winter
Consider the following 9 tips for stressed winter skin and hair:
- Alleviate stress on the skin. Do not shower too often, too long or too hot. Use shower gel or soap only sparingly and only at body parts with perspiration (underarm and pubic area). Water itself has a cleansing effect and is sufficient for a daily shower completely.
- Do not bathe more than twice a week. The water temperature should be between 32 and 35 degrees Celsius. Oil baths are gentler than bubble baths, especially on dry skin.
- In order to avoid straining hair and scalp excessively, mild shampoos such as baby shampoo are suitable in winter. Also, be sure to blow dry your hair only lukewarm.
- Extreme cold can cause fine cracks, especially on the hands, increasing susceptibility to inflammation. Therefore, hands and nails should be creamed and protected with gloves. Jojoba oil is particularly suitable for a nourishing hand massage.
- Maintain dry and chapped lips with a greasy care stick. Oils and beeswax are especially good for lip care in winter.
- In the evening, the skin is particularly receptive to caring substances. Therefore, cream the body at the end of the day.
- If you suffer from dry mucous membranes, use a nasal care nasal spray such as camomile or dexpanthenol. Make sure, however, that the nasal spray is suitable for permanent use, because conventional sprays can lead to nasal spray!
- In addition, you should pay attention to a proper hydration. Nutritionists recommend a daily intake of about two liters.
- For persistent problems, itching and inflammation, see a dermatologist. He can determine the cause of the complaint and make a recommendation for targeted treatment.
Not only problem skin needs extra care
In cold weather, the body is designed to store its heat - for this purpose, the blood vessels contract. As a result, the skin is less perfused and sets at low temperatures, their fat production. That's why special skin care in winter is especially important.
The only skin that does not necessarily need extra care in winter is oily skin. Those who are prone to pimples and blackheads, protect their skin in the winter with more frequent creaming, rather than switch to a fatty product, otherwise the skin problems can be worse.
The right care products in winter
Basically, it can be quite useful to adjust the skin care of the season. Since night creams are richer, or contain more fat than day creams, it can be enough to use the night cream during the day. An alternative are rich cold protection creams, which protect the skin from drying out.
Otherwise, you should do without aqueous creams and pay attention to a firmer consistency. Gels containing lipids are light yet moisturizing, making them an optimal winter skin care product.
Do not forget sun protection when skiing
Winter UV radiation is still often underestimated. Even if the Christmas holidays are spent in the Alps rather than in the Caribbean, the skin must be protected from the sun. The higher the mountain, the more aggressive the sun's rays, which are additionally reflected by the snow. If you go skiing or snowboarding in the mountains, you should not do so without a sun protection factor of 30. Special, winter-oriented sunscreen creams also contain substances that protect against the icy wind.
Especially sensitive to the sun are the lips next to the ears. Therefore, do not forget the balm for the lips with additional sunscreen or UV filter. Infrared heat can also be beneficial after an icy day on the mountain, because infrared rays stimulate the blood circulation.
Problem skin in winter
In winter, it is particularly difficult for people who already tend to have problem skin or are suffering from a skin disease such as atopic dermatitis. To avoid constant tension and itching, special care creams with panthenol or urea are recommended.
Since oils provide more skin moisture, especially in winter water-in-oil emulsions are suitable for the face. Scrubs and alcohol lotion should stay in the closet until spring. Instead, the skin is happy about nourishing moisturizing masks.
Even on thick scarves and turtlenecks, the skin reacts rather stressed - that is why you can calm in the winter more often neck and décolleté cream.
Irritated eyes in the winter
Not only the skin is exposed to a higher load in winter, the eyes often suffer from the cold temperatures and the dry heating air. Red, itchy and burning eyes are often the result. Mostly affected are wearers of contact lenses.
Anyone who has eye problems in winter should pay attention to a well-balanced room climate: Regular airing, indoor plants and a bowl of water on the heater help to keep the air from getting too dry. If the symptoms persist longer, it is advisable to use eye drops that replace the missing tears.