Many stress sufferers make a big mistake: they do not want to accept the problem of being overstrained. This does not fit the image of the successful career maker in the profession or the sovereign home and father. The first step in stress therapy: recognize yourself and your personal stress! This can be addressed with the life partner or another familiar person quietly openly: "You, tell me, I seem to you changed or tense!".
Recognize stress trigger
Are you more unfair to the children than they used to be? Do you even roar when you get angry? When you realize that you are stressed you have to analyze the stressors: "What exactly do I stress, the colleagues, the trouble with the new car, the lack of free time, or even the high demands on myself?"
All of this should be voluntarily tested before the doctor must do it. When coping with stress, the active handling of the stress triggers is in the foreground. Think about what your personal stressors are and how you can specifically reduce them. Here are a few tips that can help you.
11 tips against stress
- Agreements with all parties about the respective expectations and ideas - this applies to projects at work as well as for holidays and public holidays
- Do not overestimate expectations (above all in oneself), see if 100% target achievement is really necessary
- Learn to say "no" and not bow to all wishes from the outside
- Addressing and clarifying tensions quickly so they do not escalate; address or ignore annoying colleagues
- Accept that everyday quarrels and conflicts are completely normal - even on vacation and on holidays
- Create personal freedom, retreat and timely and extensive relaxation options, do not overload your everyday life with appointments
- Take more into account the internal clock (for example, to do difficult tasks in the morning or late afternoon during the personal performance high); Divide working hours so that there is enough free time and full use of holidays
- Maintain family life and friendships
- Plan walks, sports and enough sleep
- Pay attention to a healthy, balanced diet, often putting "anti-stress food" on the menu: cereal, papaya, paprika, organic poultry
Active stress management
Anyone who copes with stress actively will not be overwhelmed by it. Active stress management means focusing on one's goals and avoiding things that do you no good.
As an aid, you can, for example, create checklists that make it easier to weight the individual tasks and events, or work plans that help you structure the individual tasks better. Talk to others about what makes you stress.
And do not hesitate to seek competent help from a psychotherapist, for example, if you feel that you can not free yourself from the stress trap yourself.
Means for coping with stress
It depends on the right balance between stress and discharge. Conscious relaxation is therefore the be-all and end-all. Many people think that stress breaks down by itself. But who, for example, sitting in front of the TV may feel calmer - but that is not really relaxing.
In the medical rehabilitation of stress-related cardiovascular diseases, "active relaxation" therefore plays an increasing role: patients learn, for example, through autogenic training or controlled tightening and relaxing of muscles to actively reduce stress. Also, meditative breathing techniques, used consciously in stressful moments, are extremely effective: those who focus on their breathing hides disturbing thoughts or influences and thus creates in the midst of stress small resting islands.
And: Such relaxation methods have a measurably positive influence on the immune system. Also, being together with family, friends and acquaintances, listening to music, dancing and regular exercise in the form of walking and physical activity are effective ways to relieve stress.
Here are some stress reliefs at a glance:
- Herbal remedies with valerian or hops contribute to the calming, against depressive moods helps St. John's wort.
- The essential oil of melissa has an antispasmodic and calming effect. An application is especially recommended for nervous sleep disorders and restlessness. Coupled with a massage, they contribute especially to the relaxation.
- Bach flowers are also worth a try: Impatiens helps against impatience, Elm strengthens them when overstrained, Vervain at a pronounced need for rest.
- Acupressure treatment is only by hand. By pressure and friction at certain points of the body, the steady flow of vital energy should be set in motion again. Acupressure can also be used to relax cramped muscles, fight headaches and concentration problems, eliminate overtiredness and increase wellbeing.
- Progressive muscle relaxation, autogenic training, yoga or other relaxation techniques help to manage stress better.
- Peaceful breathing is relaxing because it brings oxygen and energy to the body.