With the first warm spring weekend in Germany, the barbecue season has started again this year. The fact that the pleasure can quickly end in disaster shows again and again serious barbecue accidents in which children are critically injured. In Germany, there are about 4, 000 barbecue accidents every year due to the use of fire accelerators. More than 400 of these accidents result in severe burns. The injured are often children who play near the grill.
Stay away from accelerators
The danger of accelerators is often underestimated: Who but pouring alcohol or other accelerants on the charcoal triggers dangerous deflagration and flashbacks. A huge fire wall can emerge and the flames can spread up to 10 meters - with disastrous consequences for anyone in the vicinity. "As soon as the weather is fine, the first barbecue accidents are reported, which we experience as accident experts every year, " says Martina Abel, Managing Director of the Federal Working Community (BAG) Mehr Sicherheit für Kinder eV in Bonn. "Barbecuing with alcohol is not only reckless, but also grossly negligent." This accident is one hundred percent avoidable! " Their advice: "Children should not be near the grill Make sure that children are engaged in barbequing through other interesting games at a safe distance from the grill."
Paulinchen eV, the initiative for burnt children, has been warning of this danger for two years now with the campaign "Safe BBQ without alcohol". "Every summer children suffer severe burn injuries through the use of fire accelerators for grilling, " regrets Adelheid Gottwald, chairwoman of Paulinchen - Initiative for burnt children "A burn injury is the most painful injury there is." These children have years of therapy ahead of them lifelong scars remain. " Despite the high degree of danger, methylated spirits are unfortunately placed next to the charcoal in many shops and petrol stations. "We demand that nowhere is alcohol sold alongside food for barbecues, which leads adults to resort to accelerators, " says Adelheid Gottwald from Paulinchen eV "Use solid barbecue lighters or egg cartons."
- Install grills tilt-proof in the slipstream and at a safe distance from other combustible materials.
- Only use fixed barbecue lighters from specialist shops!
- Never ignite or sprinkle with alcohol or other accelerants to light the fire faster.
- Do not leave the grill unattended.
- Under no circumstances children operate the grill or ignite.
- Children are not allowed to play within reach of the grill; Therefore, maintain a safety distance of at least 2 to 3 meters.
- The fire and the embers after grilling extinguish and let cool completely, keep the grill in the meantime always in the eye.
- Have a bucket with sand, fire extinguisher or fire blanket to put out the grill.
- Do not extinguish burning grease with water, but by masking.
Most important first aid measure for burns
Cool the burned area immediately for 10 minutes with water (not colder than 15 ° C) and immediately call the ambulance or see the doctor.