For several years, more and more people suffer from severe colds in the summer - the World Health Organization (WHO) has determined. A fact that is quite surprising. Many believed that only autumn and winter were reserved for coughs and colds. Even more surprising, however, is the reason that the WHO has identified for the so-called summer flu: 92 percent of those affected are themselves to blame for their disease!
Summer flu: blame yourself?
Our modern, often unreasonable life, weakens the body's own defenses and thus opens the door for the flu infections even in the summer. The immune system is overwhelmed, which gives us dripping noses and rattling bronchi.
Regular "runny nose" is a sign that the body's defense is not working optimally. These weaknesses like to exploit viruses and other pathogens by invading the body and multiplying.
How cold feet affect the respiratory mucosa
Pathogens usually stick to the nasal passages when inhaled and are trapped by the mucous membranes. The mucosa extends from the nose to the alveoli and contains antibodies against pathogens.
If this "bouncer" is intact, germs have little chance of gaining entry. But over dried or badly perfused mucous membranes in the nose and throat, viruses and bacteria can easily creep in.
Even cold feet lead to a reduced perfusion of the respiratory mucosa. Therefore, women - women complain, as is well known much more often on cold feet - on cool summer days better on the long-awaited after long winter days high heels, even if the shoe sting still burning under the toenails. What use the smartest shoes, when in the end only one thing runs: the nose.
Keep nasal mucous membranes moist
In order to prevent colds and other respiratory infections, it is particularly important to strengthen the immune system to prevent the pathogens to penetrate and increase unrestrained. Avoiding contagion is unrealistic because of the highly transmissible pathogens - as well as being a hermit to escape social snorting.
It is better to protect the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract from drying out, because dry mucous membranes increase their susceptibility to pathogens. An effective remedy, for example, is seawater spray for moistening the nasal mucous membranes. Regular cleansing of the nose with pure seawater promotes the natural self-cleaning mechanism of the nose.
Handkerchiefs can pack
No-one will be able to do without handkerchiefs, but their use can be significantly reduced by using the right whistling technique: press one side down and blow each nostril individually - because the nostrils can be compressed upwards into the frontal sinus by simultaneous compression of the nostrils.
When the visit to the doctor is unavoidable
A visit to a doctor is unavoidable ...
- ... if the cold lasts longer than seven days
- ... when pain occurs in the nasal sinuses
- ... if throat or ear pain or a spread in the deeper airways are added (fever, cough, difficulty breathing etc.)
- ... when cough and fever come to it.
9 weatherproof wellness tips
We can do a lot so that the summer does not cough us. For example, consider the often abandoned rules to which our mothers admonished us:
- For example, thirst should not be quenched with ice-cold drinks. Because these only generate stress in the organism. Even the excessive use of ice cubes in drinks is dangerous.
- Drafting air also has a cooling effect, for example due to windows being lowered when driving on hot days. First, cool the car with the air conditioner, and then lower the blower to the lowest level.
- The same applies to closed rooms: The room temperature should normally not be more than five degrees below the outside temperature.
- Although long sun baths ensure a healthy skin color, but weaken the immune system as well as long bathing fun, in which the body cools.
- Recognizing and remediating weak points through regular visits to the doctor.
- Pay attention to a healthy, vitamin-rich diet. As far as possible dispense with pleasure poisons such as coffee, alcohol and cigarettes.
- Regular physical training in the fresh air as well as sauna and changing showers.
- (Also) avoid abrupt changes in temperature on holiday; if necessary, spa stay in a climatic health resort.
- Use bioprognosis to adjust for weather changes in good time.