Resourceful employers mix it into the air conditioning of their factories or office buildings: citrus oils. A light touch of the essential oils increases the ability to concentrate. Fewer mistakes are made, effectiveness increases and the essential oils in the air turn out to be a "germ killer" during the flu season. Such and similar effects have been known for thousands of years with essential oils - but the wellness boom has triggered a veritable run on them in recent years.
Essential oils from around the world
In our latitudes, chamomile, sage or fir tree oils have been used for a long time. From Asia, thousands of fragrances and aromas and their effects are known and now also available in Germany. They are distilled from different parts of the plant and have a special effect on the skin and the sense of smell. "When used properly, many essential oils help cure the disease, and some oils, such as rose oil, have a positive effect on the psyche or, like St. John's Wort oil, they generally have a calming or invigorating effect, " explains Dr. Waltraud pastor.
How do essential oils work?
- Aniseed oil: Has a relaxing and stabilizing effect as well as a positive effect on the digestive organs.
- Valerian oil: has an antispasmodic and sleep-inducing effect. Well suited for ointments on sensitive skin.
- Basil oil: energetic, encouraging action, promotes concentration and clarity in the mind while relaxing.
- Beeswax oil: makes you less irritable and patient. Has a calming effect on sensitive skin.
- Cedarwood Oil: Antiseptic and expectorant in respiratory diseases. Strengthens bladder and kidney.
- Clementine oil: Amusing, refreshing and stimulating.
- Dill Seed Oil: Stimulates the appetite and helps with indigestion and flatulence.
- Eucalyptus oil: has an expectorant effect on bronchitis. Massages help with arthritis and muscle aches.
- Grapefruit oil: mood enhancer. It promotes creativity and energy.
- St. John's wort oil: works against depressive moods, restlessness and sleep disorders.
- Marjoram oil: works best against muscle soreness, strains and tension.
- Tea tree oil: Especially versatile due to 40 different ingredients. Germicides fungi, viruses and bacteria and is well tolerated by the skin. Hundreds of applications from A like acne to Z like tick bite.
- Rose oil: classic antidepressant. Expels the feelings of meaninglessness and provides a relaxed, meditative state.
How do you use essential oils?
- Inhale: Put a few drops in a bowl of hot water and inhale the smell deeply. A handkerchief on the go, which you have pretreated with a few drops of oil at home, is suitable.
- Room fragrance: Light and long-lasting, the oil affects you. Add a few drops of water diluted in a fragrance lamp or drip a few drops of pure oil on a light bulb. The heat of the candle or the pear has an intensifying effect.
- Bath additive: The bath water should have about body temperature. For a full bath already five to ten drops of pure oil suffice. But beware: when added to water, the essential oils can cause skin irritation. So: mix the oils first with 100ml cream or two tablespoons of honey.
- Massages: Here, the essential oils can penetrate directly into the skin. For massages, the essential oils are diluted with carrier oils (for example jojoba oil or almond oil) (Again, never use pure!).
What you should keep in mind when using essential oils
- Essential oils are sold, among others, in pharmacies, health food stores and natural cosmetics providers.
- Essential oils are highly concentrated substances. They can cause irritation to the skin and eyes. Especially allergy sufferers should seek advice. Infants, pregnant women, people with high blood pressure and people who are weakened by illness should also consult a doctor before use. Many homeopathic remedies are not compatible with essential oils - they even have an opposite effect.
- Essential oils are almost always applied externally. They should not be drunk and should only be added to foods in certain rare cases (in low concentrations).
- Oils are best kept in glass bottles in dark, cool surroundings. They do not belong in plastic bottles.