When the sun is shining, there is nothing better for little children than splashing to their heart's content. For the parents, however, increased attention is paid to the bathing fun in the local mini-pool. As beautiful as water games are in the paddling pool, there are some pitfalls. For unadulterated bathing fun, there are two main things to keep in mind: first, stay in the vicinity of the little ones and observe while bathing, second, ensure clear water conditions.
Supervision while bathing essential
In the paddling pool, young children should always be supervised. Even at low water levels there is a risk of drowning. It is often smooth around the pelvis, so the ruffians can easily slip off and fall into the water when they romp. This is particularly dangerous in small children: with them the center of gravity is very high, they often fall on the head, dive quickly and manage to emerge in the worst case, no longer on their own.
In larger paddling pools, small children should therefore carry water wings with two air chambers each - but even these do not offer 100% safety. Swimming tires are rather discouraged, at least for children who are not yet able to swim because the little ones can easily slip through them. It is advisable to let the sprouts into the paddling pool only when they can run.
Abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea sometimes spoil the swimming fun in the paddling pool. This is due to germs in the water, which multiply explosively in summer temperatures. You will find the best conditions in mini-basins where the water stays for days.
The fecal germ "Escheria coli" occurs most frequently - even with very clean body care it is unavoidable that it gets into the water. Also a problem: fungal infections and warts in the bath water.
In order to fight the germs, the paddling pool owners should change the water every two to three days. In summery temperatures and many visitors who are bathing, even the daily exchange of water is to be supported even by larger paddling pools. Or to directly prefer a filter and circulation system.
Safety tips about the water
The Federal Association for more safety for children eV gives the following information, so that the bathing fun also remains funny:
- Do not allow children to swim unattended. Even in the paddling pool, they can drown! Ensure slip resistance.
- Even in the knee-deep paddling pool, you should always allow smaller children to use them only under supervision.
- Vats and rain barrels can be dangerous. They should be secured with lockable lids.
- Swimming pools and garden ponds should be secured by protective grids. The fencing is best suited for fencing with lockable access. Bare covers are not enough, as children can fall under them and drown.
- Sources of danger are not always located on your own property. The brook behind it or the neighbor's fishpond act like a magnet on children. Make sure that no unattended access is possible.
- Anyone who gets used to the water of the child step by step and teaches him swimming at the age of about four years contributes to accident prevention.