Pilzzeit - the professional collector lives healthier

Provided the weather is favorable, the mushrooms now spring up in the field and forest. They belong neither to the plants nor to the animals. Mushrooms has always surrounded something mysterious. Some promote health, others are known to do the opposite, and others can be misused as a drug. "Herbalists", monks and shamans knew these secrets, and in Chinese medicine, mushrooms still have their place today.

Extremely low in calories

In addition to their unparalleled flavor, edible mushrooms offer tangible benefits: they are extremely low in calories because they contain almost no fat. In addition to about 90 percent water, they consist of little protein and carbohydrates and between 2 (mushroom) and 16 percent (truffle) fiber: The cell walls of fungi are not made of cellulose as the plants, but of chitin. This substance is also the basic substance of insect screens. He generally makes mushrooms difficult to digest.

Vitamins and minerals

Some mushrooms have a relatively high content of B vitamins and folic acid as well as potassium and iron. Their disadvantage is their ability to enrich heavy metals such as mercury and cadmium as well as radioactive cesium. However, since the reactor accident in Chernobyl, the radioactive contamination of most fungi has fallen below the limits again. In order to keep the heavy metal pollution low, you should not collect them at the roadside. Picked mushrooms and chanterelles, which can be bought from us on the market (primarily from Lithuania and Poland), can be eaten without hesitation. Foreign products are regularly and thoroughly examined for possible contamination.

Eyes open while mushroom picking

Those who want to collect wild mushrooms should be well informed: There is no simple rule of thumb in which edible mushrooms are different. Therefore, only mushrooms can be collected that are clearly and unequivocally recognized. In some municipalities and cities, there is a mushroom advice center for doubtful cases. Helpful is a good newer date book. Because in older books the strong poisonous Kahle Krempling as well as the just as poisonous spring-cupped are still called edible! Mushroom poisoning is usually associated with abdominal pain and nausea. It is crucial when the symptoms occur: If it comes shortly after consumption to complaints, they are probably rather harmless.

However, if the mushroom meal is more than five or six hours behind, it can be a poisoning. In tuber-leaf mushrooms, it sometimes comes even after twelve hours to complaints. It is important when vomiting occurs to pick up the vomit. If there are leftovers of the mushroom dish or the mushroom cleaning, this can also help in the diagnosis of poisoning.

Incidentally, fungal toxins can be detected in urine. However, such a test should be taken no earlier than six hours after the mushroom meal to clarify whether it is a poisoning by tuber-leaf fungi.

The Knollenblätterpilz - a particularly "worse"

Tuberous mushrooms have several special features that distinguish them from mushrooms. And with this they like to be confused. Mushrooms, for example, are always colored, while tubers have always pure white fins. Also of the Täublingen, which have a similar green hat color, the tuber sheet mushroom can differ well. For piebalds have no ring on the stem, and the lower part of the mushroom is not bulbous. The tuber at the stalk base, which gives the dangerous poisonous mushrooms their name, is a central differentiator. In the case of green tuberous mushroom, however, the tuber is usually hidden in the ground. Mushroom pickers should therefore expose the stem base for safety.

Store and prepare

Collected mushrooms are best transported in airy baskets. They sweat in plastic bags and spoil very fast. Mushrooms have their place in haute cuisine as well as in home cooking. They are classic side dishes to game dishes, fried and Geschnetzeltem, can be baked and used in salads, soups and risotto. Some mushrooms are also suitable for raw consumption, which is not advisable in wild mushrooms, because they can adhere to the microscopic eggs of the fox tapeworm.

With a kitchen rule from grandmother's times can be cleaned up: mushrooms are not poisonous by warming up! However, it is important to quickly cool the mushroom residues, store them only briefly in the refrigerator and then heat directly to at least 70 degrees. So it does not come to harmful protein decomposition.

Share with friends

Leave your comment