Mushrooms: tips and information on edible mushrooms

Tips for collecting and recycling edible mushrooms

Only pick the mushrooms that you know beyond doubt, even if they are only two or three varieties. If in doubt, look for a mushroom consultant - he is usually more competent than his neighbor. Definitive books with good illustrations and detailed descriptions of edible mushrooms and their poisonous doppelgängers should always be included. By the way, such dramatic-sounding names as Satan's pipe, Witcher's pipe or Gray-headed Sulfur-headed are no indication of the toxicity.

Lamellar mushrooms are often poisonous

You can get advice - free of charge - from the mushroom consultants, whose names and addresses can be found at the health department or the municipalities. Many community colleges offer courses for fungal determination.

Beginners among the mushroom pickers should focus on the family of the pipe - they have a so-called sponge under their hat. Almost all of the tube-sized creatures, such as porcini mushrooms, can be eaten, even inedible ones usually cause only minor signs of intoxication.

On the other hand, fungal mushrooms, including mushrooms and tuberous mushrooms, are often poisonous.

When collecting, it is important to harvest the entire fruiting body (including the stalk and the part that is in the soil), because this is the only way to clearly determine the species. Mushrooms should be best cooked or fried at least 24 hours after harvest, raw mushrooms often cause indigestion.

What do mushrooms have to offer?

Mushrooms are a tasty, low-calorie enrichment on our diet. In addition, some species, such as oyster mushrooms and chanterelles, a high fiber content, which has a beneficial effect on our digestion. According to the German Society for Nutrition (DGE), the content of vitamins niacin and folic acid is higher than that of other vegetables in many types of fungus, and thus they can make an important contribution to care.

Because some fungi accumulate heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury, the DGE recommends consuming no more than 250 g of wild mushrooms per week. However, because these are not eaten all year round, it is safe for the amount to be temporarily exceeded in the mushroom season.

Mushroom ragout - delicious and easy

Ingredients:

  • 200-300 g of mixed mushrooms
  • 1 onion
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • a little parsley
  • salt and pepper

Preparation: Fry the finely chopped onion in butter until glassy, ​​then fry the sliced ​​mushrooms. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper. Good Appetite!

Share with friends

Leave your comment