The doctor first determines whether it is atopic dermatitis and not a contact allergy or a skin infection. Neurodermatitis is not curable, therefore, the treatment of the symptoms and the knowledge of the triggering factors of great importance.
Treatment of atopic dermatitis with medication
With the basic medical treatment of atopic dermatitis, treatment with cortisone preparations and skin care with creams or ointments with a balanced proportion of fat have a firm place in the inflammatory thrust. In the case of a chronic course, it is recommended to use a urea preparation that has antipruritic and mild antibacterial properties.
Antihistamines also have their place in therapy. They relieve the itching and reduce the inflammatory process. If the skin is infected by scratching and contamination with bacteria, antibiotics are used. In addition, herbal ingredients are used that support skin regeneration:
The long-term use of capsules with evening primrose oil have an anti-inflammatory effect and thus improve the symptoms. Various substances have a constricting effect on the inflammation: From black or green tea, oak bark, oat straw and horsetail you can make a brew or a moist envelope, in which you bathe or wrap particularly wet skin areas. Your pharmacist will advise you on the preparation.
Nutrition in atopic dermatitis
Unfortunately, there is no general atopic dermatitis diet. However, certain foods are suspected to exacerbate the disease in some patients. These include: eggs, milk protein, fish protein, nuts, citrus, celery, spices, food colors and preservatives. Avoid spicy dishes, alcohol and coffee.
If one of the parents suffers from atopic dermatitis, the statistical risk is 15% that their child is atopic eczema. If both parents are ill, the risk increases to 45%.
As long as possible and exclusive breastfeeding of the infant reduces the risk of developing atopic dermatitis. If your baby can not be breastfed, feed so-called hypoallergenic milk (HA milk). Later on, it should be paid particular attention to which food the child reacts to with skin irritation in the diet of such a child.
Skin care for neurodermatitis
The skin of the neurodermatitis is extremely dry and needs a lot of fat and moisture. Drug-free care products from the pharmacy ensure that the skin is supplied with fat and moisture. Use a moisturizing lotion during the day and a fat cream at night.
The skin should be cleansed with moisturizing bath additives and instead of soaps you should use so-called syndets (soap-free washing additives), which dry out the skin less. When showering and bathing, make sure that the water is not too hot. Then it is advisable to dry only slightly or not at all and always cream.
Clothes - Selection of materials
Wool and other scratching materials are often unpleasant on the skin in eczema. The clothing should be better made of cotton or other natural materials and also permeable to air to avoid increased perspiration. Synthetic fibers promote heat buildup and thus bacterial growth of sensitive and affected skin.
- To prevent excessive scratching and thus skin changes, scars and infections, always cream the skin well.
- Are you allergic to animal hair? Then you better not keep a pet.
- In people with atopic dermatitis, especially in stressful situations, relaxation exercises can help. Take a course or ask your doctor if he can recommend a particular method.
- Prolonged stays by the sea or in the high mountains often have a favorable effect on the disease, as there is a different climate than at home.
- Parents should pay special attention and patience to their children suffering from neurodermatitis. However, the child should not be given a special status in the family, especially if there are sibling children. There are special self-help groups for sharing with other concerned parents.
- For infants there are certain clothes with gloves that can prevent scratching and infecting the skin through the fingernails, especially at night.
- In most people, the symptoms are significantly improved by exposure to the sun, therefore, offers a holiday at the sea or in the mountains.