The alpha and omega of the treatment of atopic dermatitis is the consistent care of the skin - even in itching-free times. In addition, all measures that help strengthen the overall health and psyche help. Find out more about different treatment options for atopic dermatitis here.
- Good skin care, avoid frequent washing procedures, no alkali soaps and detergents
- Do not wear garments made of wool or synthetic fibers
- Use of pure cotton underwear
- Use of enzyme-free detergents for small clothes
- Rinse the underwear several times with water
- Wearing cotton gloves for dry housework
- Additional wearing of plastic or rubber gloves for wet work (no rubber gloves directly on the skin)
- Protection against chemical and physical toxins
- Regular use of skin protection creams
- Avoid extreme temperature fluctuations
- Dust remedial measures
- No stay in a dusty environment
- nicotine ban
- Avoid contact with fur animals
- No keeping of pets (high risk of sensitization to hair and animal skin, especially guinea pig, hamster, cat, horse and dog in descending order)
- Dietary measures: Avoid spicy spices, strong coffee, concentrated alcohol, beer
Situations in which medical help is necessary
- When the eczema is red, painful and particularly warm or secreting a secretion.
- If in addition to the eczema cough and / or breathlessness occur.
- If side effects of the drugs are noticed.
- When at work the eczema worsens.
Factors that cause or exacerbate atopic dermatitis
- The inhalation of substances that often cause an allergy: house dust, pet dander, pollen
- Skin contact with substances that irritate the skin: cleansers, moist environment, wool, synthetic textiles, etc.
- Dry air, dusty rooms, smoke
- Mental stress: stress, depressive moods, anxiety
- Foods that can be allergic: eggs, cow's milk products, nuts, fish, etc.
- Food additives: in colorful sweets, preserves
- Foods that have been found to be irritating: Acidic foods (juices, citrus fruits), hot spices, alcohol
Behavior that leads to the improvement of atopic dermatitis
- In principle, all risk factors should be avoided.
- If possible, infants should be breastfed, as this is likely to reduce the occurrence of allergies.
- Airy cotton clothing should be preferred. In general, a colder ambient temperature is advantageous.
- Skin cleansing should be done with alkali-free and moisturizing soaps and, above all, not too often. The care takes place every time after washing and otherwise best several times a day by applying greasy creams. These may also contain urea in eczema. In addition, oil baths are recommended.
- Allergies are also determined by omitting the substances in question for at least three weeks. If the substance is then gently tried again in low concentration and then the disease is worsened, allergy to this substance is likely. Contact should be avoided in the future. This procedure is especially recommended for food. In extreme cases, a diet is required in which only potatoes and rice are administered. In older children, allergy tests can be carried out by specialists.
- It can often be said that eczema improves when people in the environment behave differently. This "better" behavior can be practiced. If the sick person suffers from mental conflicts, the causes of the conflicts should be eliminated. Here it helps if the sufferers are consistently supported in difficult decisions. Sometimes a psychotherapy - in which the caregivers should also participate - helpful.
- Climate change (sea climate or altitude climate over 1500 meters) usually has a favorable effect, but it can come back quickly when returning to the old environment. Caution is required with vaccinations and injections.
The basis of the skin treatment is the application of urea-containing creams. This should be better done several times a day thin than once thick. In addition, moisturizing oil baths are recommended. When the eczema "blooms", the optimal treatment strategy should be sought together with the treating physician. In more severe cases, cortisone-containing preparations are also used, possibly also in tablet form.
Because of the constantly itchy and for those affected allegedly unsightly skin psychotherapy can be useful. In case of serious illnesses, contact with a specialized center should be established at an early stage, which will generally support a holistic treatment taking into account the diet. There are numerous self-help groups for people with neurodermatitis, which are also organized nationwide.