Many cancers only become noticeable at an advanced stage. Therefore, it is important not to consult the doctor first and only if symptoms or symptoms. The social security system carries out a preventive check-up once a year for the early detection of certain types of cancer for certain age groups. Above all, they are used to detect cervical and genital cancer, the breast, the large and small intestines, the prostate and the skin.
In addition to the discussion with inquiries of the medical history and consultation some investigations are contained in the legal cancer screening program. These are listed below.
- From the age of 20: gynecological examinations (inspection, palpation) of the internal and external reproductive organs (vagina, uterus, partly ovaries); Smear examination of cervix or cervix
From the age of 30: Additional palpation of breasts and armpits
50th-69th Year of life: Every 2 years mammography (chest X-ray examinations) - this allows early stages of breast cancer to be detected.
- From the age of 45: Prostate examination, external genitalia, lymph nodes
For women and men:
- From the age of 45: Examination of the skin
- From the age of 50: colon examination, test for hidden blood in the stool (some statutory health insurance companies cover the costs from the age of 45)
- From the age of 56 years: Instead of the stool test two colonoscopies (colonoscopy) can be used at intervals of at least 10 years (with normal findings).
In patients with disease symptoms or increased risk z. For example, by family burden of the statutory health insurance, of course, more or more often paid examinations, if the treating physician considers this to be necessary.
Health examinations (check-up)
In addition to cancer screening tests, the statutory health insurance companies offer a general examination of their state of health every two years from the age of 35. In addition to inquiries into the history of the illness and the family, this also includes advice
- a whole body examination,
- Blood tests to determine fat levels and sugar,
- Urine tests and
- an ECG.
It is intended to detect early on civilizational diseases such as cardiovascular diseases, lipid metabolism disorders and diabetes mellitus, as well as kidney, blood, metabolic, thyroid or liver diseases.