The number of studies that even document moderate weight loss as a health gain is unmanageable. Even a reduction in weight by 5 - 10% and the reduced abdominal circumference allow the inner abdominal fat to melt by about 30%. This pleases the heart: Because even its greatest adversaries - high blood pressure and unfavorable blood lipid levels - are positively influenced. The flow properties of the blood improve, the risk of atherosclerosis and thus infarction decreases.
Long-term weight loss is important
There are many ways to start losing weight. What is needed is a long-term motivation and the readiness for a lasting adjustment of the way of life, which is based on scientific findings. The higher the initial weight or the waist circumference, the clearer the goal should be defined. However, it has to be realistic and achievable. A long-term weight loss of 5-10% is a success!
Generally, however, because of the importance for cardiovascular diseases: abdominal is best. The principle is simple:
- Consciously eat and enjoy
- Increased regular physical activity
- Change behavior permanently
The secret to eating is variety. Who wants to eat a balanced diet, should also get an overview of how many calories, how much cholesterol, what fat and what other ingredients in the food used. In a Mediterranean-wholesome food mix, there are no bids or prohibitions, but only recommendations. The Mediterranean-wholesome kitchen is characterized by plant-focused and high-quality food.
- Vegetables (fresh or frozen), salad and fruit (each fresh) make up a large proportion of what comes on the table every day.
- Milk, yoghurt and cheese (each low in fat) are also served daily, fish and poultry several times a week, red meat (low in fat) only rarely.
- Suitable main sources of fat are fish oils (omega-3 fatty acids) and vegetable oils (olive oil, rapeseed oil), because they have a high content of unsaturated fatty acids. It is considered ideal when just under half of the dietary fat consists of monounsaturated fatty acids, one quarter of polyunsaturated fatty acids and at most one quarter of saturated fatty acids. Cholesterol intake should not exceed 200 mg / day.
- "High-quality" carbohydrates are consumed in the form of whole-grain products (for example, bread, rice, pasta), legumes and potatoes.
- Alcohol may also be used, but in moderation if there is no liver damage or a high triglyceride level.
- For all other drinks: At least two liters of sugar-free, low-calorie liquid per day must be.
- Snacks with added sugar and salt (chips & peanuts) are best avoided altogether.
Such a diet is the best example that nutrition and enjoyment can be associated with great health value. The fiber and complex carbohydrates, antioxidants and phytochemicals have a strong protective effect on the heart, circulation and metabolism.
Fat loss through movement
To reduce one kilogram of fatty tissue, you have to save around 7, 000 kilocalories. The effort is considerable for beginners. At least 2500 kilocalories must be consumed per week to measurably reduce weight. That means at least five hours of extra exercise. To maintain weight after losing weight, about 1500 kilocalories or just under three hours of physical activity per week are necessary.
Decisive, however, is that by persevering movement almost exclusively body fat - and especially the inner abdominal fat - is reduced. All types of endurance exercise are suitable for losing weight since they successfully boost the metabolism and sustainably accelerate bodily functions.
The fat burning starts after about 15 minutes and continues after training for a while ("afterburning effect"). She gets up to speed after about 45 minutes. It is therefore particularly effective to lose weight with gymnastics, walking, swimming, running, hiking, dancing, cycling or golfing with over one hour daily, of course with rest breaks.
Muscle building through body training
Those who supplement endurance training once or twice a week with moderate full-body muscle training will prevent the age-related loss of muscle mass, thereby preserving the strength and coordination capacity of skeletal muscle. In addition, it causes a more sustainable "afterburning effect", as increased muscle increases calorie consumption. And finally: A heart trained for endurance gets more oxygen, beats less, but stronger.
Such a mobilization works holistically - on the stomach, the mind and the soul. However, nobody should expect too much in the beginning. Only after a few months does consistent perseverance pay off. The basis for this is a new active attitude, combined with insight and personal responsibility.
German Nutrition Society