Who wants to buy barley grass, must decide which form he prefers. Because barley grass is available as powder, barley grass juice, but also in the form of tablets or capsules as well as fresh or processed products.
This is behind the different terms:
- Barley grass powder is made from barley grass, which is first gently dried and then ground.
- Activated barley or germinated barley was soaked in water for two days before drying and grinding and then germinated for a few days.
- Tablets and capsules allow easy dosing and rapid ingestion of barley grass powder without prior preparation.
- Barley grass juice is obtained by juicing (pressing) barley grass. It contains less fiber compared to barley grass. Barley grass juice does not need to be freshly pressed: it is also available dried barley grass juice powder, which can be mixed with water.
- Fresh barley grass is considered to be the healthiest option as some of the valuable nutrients are lost during processing.
In addition, many products are now available with barley grass, for example in the form of protein shakes or protein bars. Often, these also contain other ingredients that are considered superfoods, such as spirulina, wheatgrass or hemp protein powder.
Buy barley grass: 5 tips
If you have decided to buy barley grass - no matter in what form - you should consider the following tips for buying:
- Barley grass is often found in the health food store or organic shop, but can also be ordered online.
- Buy only barley grass without additives such as sugar, dyes or preservatives.
- Better reach for certified organic barley grass to make sure it does not contain pesticides.
- Barley grass can come from many growing areas. Because of the ideal climatic conditions and the nutrient-rich soils, barley grass from New Zealand is particularly popular.
- A price comparison can be worthwhile: The barley grass should not be too cheap, but also many traders demand overpriced prices.
Barley grass powder should be stored dry, well sealed and protected from the sun. A storage in the refrigerator is unsuitable, since in this case condensation can form.
Grow barley grass yourself
Barley grass is easy to grow by yourself. Because the sweet grass grows from the normal barley grain. The seeds are to be found under the term "Sprießkorngerste" in many health food shops.
And so goes the cultivation of barley grass:
- Put the seeds in water overnight and let them germinate.
- Fill a shallow planter or a flower stand (ideally, the bottom of the container should have holes) about five inches high with soil and moisten it.
- Place the swollen seeds close to each other (but not on top of each other) on the ground.
- Cover the container with a damp cloth at room temperature and sprinkle seeds and soil with water twice a day to keep them moist. The cloth can be removed after four days.
- After only two to four days, the seedlings can be harvested and eaten like sprouts.
- The young, green leaves of the plant can be harvested as soon as they reach a size of 10 to 15 centimeters - usually after 10 to 12 days.
- For harvesting, simply cut the barley grass above the root as close to the ground as possible.
- With a suitable juicer, you can then produce barley grass juice yourself. The barley grass stalks can also be cut into the food.
Breeding barley grass or wheatgrass has the advantage that the fresh grass has a particularly high content of healthy ingredients. Fresh barley grass should be processed as quickly as possible or stored in the refrigerator.
Use of barley grass powder
If your own cultivation of barley grass is too time-consuming, you can simply reach for the finished powder. Usually just a teaspoon of barleygrass powder is dissolved in cold water and drunk. If you do not like the spinach-like taste, you can also add the powder to juice, muesli, yoghurt or a smoothie.
Barley grass powder is even used as a spice: after cooking over the food or as part of a homemade herbal salt, the taste is barely noticeable. It is important, however, not to heat the powder, so that the nutrients are not destroyed.
There are many recipes for the use of barley grass powder. Of course, you can also collect your own experience and test how barley grass tastes best to you.