- In the case of an erectile dysfunction (also: erectile dysfunction, ED) an erection can not be achieved and / or maintained in order to be able to carry out a satisfactory sexual intercourse.
- The severity of erectile dysfunction varies: it ranges from occasional difficulties in achieving an erection to total loss of erection.
- According to medical definition one speaks of an erectile dysfunction, if this exists over at least three months. At least 70 percent of attempts to perform a sexual act are unsuccessful.
- In Germany alone, it is estimated that around five million men are affected by erectile dysfunction.
- It is estimated that every fifth man experiences an erectile dysfunction during life.
- There are approximately 190 million affected people worldwide.
- The probability of getting erectile dysfunction increases with age.
- Those affected usually take a lot of time to seek advice from a doctor.
- It is estimated that about 70 to 80 percent of all erectile dysfunction have an organic cause.
- By contrast, 20 to 30 percent have a mental cause.
- In many cases, both factors play together.
- The most common organic causes include cardiovascular disease (33 percent) and diabetes mellitus (25 percent).