There are several options for treating erectile dysfunction. In addition to therapy, it is extremely important to treat underlying diseases. Psychological counseling can also be helpful for treatment and relieving the burden on the purely physical cause of erectile dysfunction.
The following options are available for treating erectile dysfunction:
- Medications for oral use
- Medicines on site
- mechanical aids
- surgical procedures and implants
Oral medications for impotence
The following medications are prescription:
- Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitors are most commonly used, which prolong stability - provided there is a fundamental excitation and erectile function (and there is no cardiovascular disease!). Preparations are Sildenafil (Viagra®), Tadalafil (Cialis®) and Vardenafil (Levitra®).
- The active ingredient apomorphine (for example Uprima®, Ixense®) is a dopamine receptor agonist that enhances the natural signals that trigger an erection in the brain.
- Phentolamine (Vasomax®) is a non-selective alpha-receptor blocker that can support an erection by acting on the penile muscles.
- If the disorder is due to a lack of testosterone, this or its precursor dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) can be taken, sprayed, glued as a patch on the skin or applied as a gel on the skin.
Medicines on site
The substance alprostadil acts directly on the penis by either injecting it into the erectile tissue with a very thin needle (cavernous auto-injection therapy) or as a mini-tablet inserted into the urethra. These forms help especially in a therapy when the erectile dysfunction is due to nerve damage.
Mechanical aids for erectile dysfunction
An erection can be achieved with the help of a vacuum pump and held with a subsequently on the penis root übergestreiften (anatomically individually adapted) penis ring.
Surgical procedures and implants
These treatments are only used for erectile dysfunction when all other methods have failed. Vascular surgery in the cavernous body has relatively low success rates, the insertion of a corporal body implant destroys tissue and is irreversible.
The concept of a therapy is individually adapted by the doctor in conversation with the person concerned to his situation and preferences and explained exactly.