Diarrheal diseases can occur not only on holidays and when traveling, but also at home. Diarrhea or diarrhea is said to occur in more than three to four watery stools per day.
Common causes of diarrhea
- Gastrointestinal infections
- Previous antibiotic therapy
- Bacterial food contamination
- Food allergy
- Stress, anxiety
Diarrhea is a meaningful and natural reaction of our body to excrete harmful substances quickly. The big problem with diarrhea is the loss of water and electrolytes because the intestine does not have enough time to recover water, nutrients and salts. No matter what the cause of the intestinal disease has caused - the lost fluid must be replaced immediately. Primarily children and people with underlying diseases of the cardiovascular system, the kidneys or the metabolism (eg diabetes mellitus) are at risk. But also the electrolytes have to be replaced. Especially for infants, infants and the elderly, an acute electrolyte deficiency can be very quickly threatening.
Tips for treatment
- The most important rule is - replace the liquid! Drink at least two and a half liters every day.
- Minerals can be replaced with special electrolyte solutions from the pharmacy.
- If you have severe diarrhea, you should not eat at the beginning; In milder diseases you can eat what you are hungry for.
- Rest and warmth are often helpful.
When should the doctor be consulted?
- If the symptoms are very severe or do not subside after 3 days.
- If there is blood in the stool or if the diarrhea is accompanied by a high fever or a general feeling of being sick.
- When a little child has diarrhea
- If you also have other illnesses
Medicines for diarrhea
- Tablets with tannins seal the inflamed intestinal mucosa.
- Yeast preparations inhibit the growth of harmful germs.
- Adsorbents such as activated carbon, kaolin or silica bind the harmful substances that cause diarrhea.
- Loperamide is given in case of very severe diarrhea and only for a short time. The effect takes place via an attenuation of the intestinal movement.
- Herbal preparations with Uzara root also help with diarrheal diseases.