While for some people the glasses are the usual outfit, others are passionate supporters of the contact lens. Both eyewear and lenses have evolved steadily over the years and have their pros and cons. But what is better and where are the main differences? This article is intended to help you to weigh the pros and cons of eyewear and contact lenses. You will also receive tips and information about wearing and purchasing the two visual aids.
Advantages of glasses
Almost any form of poor eyesight can be treated with glasses without problems. The following advantages are also offered by glasses:
- Glasses are practical and flexible because they can be put on and taken off at any time.
- Glasses do not put the eyes under strain if they are correctly adjusted to the respective prescription. The eye is not touched, the glasses take over the function of the lens "from a safe distance".
- Even while colds, infections of the eye or hay fever are a glasses can be worn easily. It does not cause eye dryness or accumulation of germs.
- Eyewear protects the eye from external influences such as drafts, dust, insects or sand.
- In a traffic control it is clearly visible, so that no demand is necessary if the driver's license refers to the visual impairment.
Appearance as a disadvantage of glasses
Eyewear is often seen as a fashion accessory, but not everyone likes glasses. Especially children and adolescents often find glasses embarrassing or even teased by other children.
But even adults often bother with their glasses when it comes to appearance. Under a pair of glasses you can see ordinary make-up only bad, too strong make-up, however, can collide with the glasses.
In addition, spectacle wearers must make sure that their appearance matches the glasses. The glasses are a fashionable element of appearance and sometimes difficult to pick because it has to fit any outfit - or you can buy several glasses to choose from.
Other disadvantages of glasses
In addition, glasses have even more disadvantages:
- Glasses are not suitable in every situation to compensate for vision problems. Once it is discarded, the sight is back. In sports, however, it should be removed, otherwise it also carries a certain risk of injury.
- Sunglasses either need glasses of the correct prescription or must be worn over the glasses.
- If the glasses are not sitting correctly, they can press on the nose or behind the ears.
- If a nickel allergen is present, the material of the spectacle frame can in rare cases trigger contact dermatitis ("eyeglass allergy").
- Sometimes eyeglasses make seeing more difficult than relieving them, and it does not always help to clean them. Glasses, for example, cause problems when they mist up, mirror or restrict the field of vision.
- You should always protect your glasses from scratches and other damage, because the new purchase can be very expensive.
Advantages of contact lenses
Contact lenses are well suited to obscure a low vision inconspicuously. Contact lenses are available - depending on the intended use and condition of the eye - in hard and soft form. Even a change in eye color is possible. Particularly oxygen-permeable contact lenses are also suitable for sensitive eyes - in this case, lipid drops help to keep them moist.
That also speaks for contact lenses:
- Contact lenses do not slip or mist and they leave no pressure points.
- They can also be worn in the sauna and during sports, sometimes even while swimming.
- There are daily and monthly lenses, so they can be changed regularly with increased risk of infection.
- Also in terms of fashion aspects and make-up, the contact lenses need not be considered.
- Contact lenses can be easily combined with normal sunglasses.
- Even difficult cases such as astigmatism can be corrected with special contact lenses.
Disadvantages of contact lenses
With contact lenses, the costs can go up quickly. Although there is the right contact lens for every special case, it can be very expensive. Day or monthly lenses are usually not expensive, but with ongoing costs for the regular purchase of lenses and toiletries connected. For the glasses, on the other hand, you spend money only once and the next time only after years - provided the required strength does not change.
If contact lenses are worn too long or are poorly tolerated, contact dermatitis can also occur in them. In many cases, the Lidentzündung of contact lens fluids or cleaning agents is triggered.
Contact lenses are also poor in hay fever because they can be too tears and infections, or even damage the eye. In addition, a pollen allergy often requires the instillation of eye drops, contact lenses are a hindrance. Therefore, wearers of contact lenses should also have spare glasses.
In addition, the handling of the lenses compared to glasses is relatively expensive. Some people have trouble or even fear using the contact lenses. In addition, hygiene and proper handling are particularly important so that the eye is not injured.
How to determine the contact lens values?
If you want to switch from glasses to contact lenses, it is first necessary to determine the correct contact lens values. For the contact lenses other values apply than for the glasses, as this is located at a greater distance from the eye. It is also not possible to convert the spectacle values into contact lens values without further ado.
Ideally, you should therefore seek advice from an ophthalmologist or optometrist. He can determine whether the eye is suitable for the use of contact lenses and measure the correct values for contact lenses (diopter, radius, diameter, cylinder and axis). Among other things, the amount and composition of the tear fluid affects the choice of the right contact lens.
Can glasses and contact lenses be worn alternately?
Basically, a combination of glasses and contact lenses is unproblematic. Many contact lens beginners wear the two visual aids alternately, to slowly get used to the eyes on lenses. Others reduce the cost of contact lenses. Still others wear colored contact lenses under the glasses or the contact lenses only on special occasions, such as for going out or during sports.
When combining eyeglasses and contact lenses, it is important to keep in mind that both vision aids must be accurate to the eye, otherwise they will strain the eye and cause dizziness and headaches. But even if the visual impairment has currently been determined and both visual aids have been matched to it, it may be that individual persons do not tolerate the combination of glasses and contact lenses well.
Incidentally, contact lenses are one of the glasses to be compared visual aid. They may be worn while driving instead of the glasses, even if the driver's license glasses are noted.
At what age contact lenses?
Often at the latest in puberty, the desire to replace the glasses with contact lenses. This is fundamentally unproblematic: even small children can wear contact lenses if they know how to use them themselves or if they let themselves be used by their parents. They can not be harmed if used properly and changed regularly.
Since, however, few parents have an interest in using contact lenses for young children, it is usually teenagers who switch from glasses to contact lenses for the first time at their own request.