The fire-red steel container should be free and quickly accessible - and really suitable for extinguishing the flammable substances present in the environment. Information about the fire classification is provided by the pictograms on the device. It is also important that all family members (including the children!) Know before the emergency, how to operate the fire extinguisher - who studies only in case of fire, the printed instructions, gives away valuable time, an immediate use, however, may save lives and reduces property damage. For households, foam extinguishers are good because they can be targeted to the source of fire. On the other hand, powder as an extinguishing agent can heavily dust the environment.
Tips for emergencies:
- Basically, you should always keep calm and circumspection in a fire. Prudence means, sometimes even to renounce the fire extinguisher: A burning pan (ie burning fat in it) can be z. B. safest extinguish when the flame is stifled with the pot lid. By the way: extinguishing tests with water are dangerous with such grease fires, since it can come to explosions. In gastronomy, therefore, special fat fire extinguishers are used.
- If the handle to the extinguisher is necessary, always splash with the wind from below into the embers and not into the flames.
- Keep a sufficient distance so that the extinguishing powder covers the entire fire as much as possible.
- Extinguish surface fires from the front and from below, not from behind or above, always extinguish the burning material, not the flames.
- In the case of dripping or flowing fires, for example, when burning grease or melting plastics drips down, extinguish the burning pool from the exit point at the top to the bottom.
- For larger incipient fires, use several fire extinguishers at the same time and not in succession.
- Watch for flashback, do not leave fire, but watch.
- Never underestimate the health hazards of smoke and combustion gases and always pay attention to the intrinsic safety.
- After use, never put the fire extinguisher back in its place, but have it refilled immediately.
Check extinguishers regularly
Outwardly fire extinguishers hardly change. The effect of the extinguishing and blowing agents of fire extinguishers, however, diminishes over time, the extinguishing agents change their consistency. The regular expert testing of the equipment is therefore essential - preferably at least every two years - that recommends the Federal Association of Fire Protection Companies (bvbf). A glance at the test sticker tells you when and who performed the last test. If this is longer, a specialist must check the device.
When expertly inspected by the after-sales service of a specialist fire department, the fire extinguisher is opened, the extinguishing agent removed and its suitability checked. Powder and foam should be completely replaced after ten years at the latest. After this time, the deletion properties are reduced.
The expert test also checks the propellant and examines the fire extinguisher for possible damage and material fatigue. After the approximately 15-minute test, which costs between 15 and 30 euros according to bvbf, the fire extinguisher is again ready for use for two years. V
or dubious shopkeeper warns the fire department. Alleged government officials at the front door pretend to check the fire extinguishers in private households. As a rule, the supposed experts then find that the fire extinguishers do not meet the standard or have expired; Residents are advised to purchase a new device. According to the fire department, however, there is no authority that checks fire extinguishers.