When babies swim, children lose their fear of water - or do not develop it at all. What is there to pay attention to? Cheerful Anna snorts and splashes her hands into the water. Her little friend Felix does not find that pleasing. His mouth slips miserably. Eight mothers and fathers stand with their three to twelve-month-old children in knee-high, warm water. They lovingly draw water over the back of their little ones or support their first and still clumsy rowing movements.
Health benefits of baby swimming
Baby swimming lessons are playful parent-child gymnastics. Splashing in the water strengthens the heart and circulation as well as the breathing activity; Motor skills and body control are encouraged. The water pressure gently massages the skin. At the same time joints and muscles are strengthened by the movement against the water resistance. In addition, the warm wet relaxes. Baby swimming is already conceivable with a ten-week-old baby. But only after ten months, the child - with appropriate equipment and always under supervision - paddling freely in the baby pool. At first, parents should not "let the child go" without professional guidance.
Where is baby swimming offered?
In almost all indoor swimming pools there are courses, partly also in health centers and fitness studios as well as in special baby swimming schools. Parents learn how to hold their children and what moves they can best pull through the water. In addition, the instructors know how to adapt to the water easier and what water games are well received. And the splashing in the group is a lot of fun. Before booking, parents should take a closer look at the premises. Often a trial lesson is possible.
You should note that
Important: Is the air and water temperature correct? Are there enough changing tables? Are the changing rooms suitable for mother and child? If all these questions can be answered with yes, nothing speaks against it: then it's allowed to go into the water.
- Ideal bath temperature is 32 to 33 degrees Celsius. The infant pools are subject to special health regulations. The water is carefully filtered and processed. The chlorine content is precisely metered: Slightly chlorinated water prevents fungal infections.
- The best time for swimming is between meals. Therefore, just before registration ask for the exact course times. Even the largest water rat, when hungry or tired, does not enjoy splashing.
- Babies freeze easily, so 10 to 30 minutes are enough in the water. As soon as the child tears, trembles, or gets blue lips, it's time to go out.
- The chlorine water dries off delicate baby skin, therefore always take baby shower gel and skin care cream.
- The Badedress includes a swimming trunks with an integrated aqua gauze, if necessary swimming slippers in the smallest size and bath sandals to avoid slipping on the slippery tiles.