Heavy obesity makes you sick - experts agree on that. Obesity, but also overweight, are a risk factor for numerous diseases of civilization, especially diseases of the blood vessels and the cardiovascular system: hypertension (high blood pressure), arteriosclerosis, including episodes such as heart attack and stroke. This risk increases when, in addition to hypertension, diabetes (diabetes) and lipid metabolism disorder ("fatal quartet") are the main causes of obesity.
Consequences and risks of obesity
Especially with obesity permagna (BMI from 40) the following risks are not uncommon:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Left-heart enlargement, arteriosclerosis
- Heart attack, stroke
- Disturbed sugar metabolism through to diabetes
- Increased blood clotting
- Gout, spinal diseases, osteoarthritis
- Gallbladder disease, fatty liver, reflux disease
- Hormonal imbalances (for example, limited fertility)
- Pulmonary and respiratory problems
- sleep apnea
- Cancer (for example breast cancer, uterine cancer, colon cancer, gallbladder cancer, kidney cancer)
- Wound healing disorders, increased surgical and anesthesia risk, increased complication rates during pregnancy
Obesity: consequences of a general nature
In addition, there are general symptoms of obesity such as increased sweating, shortness of breath and joint pain. Obesity permagna often also limits the activities of daily life. Many sufferers feel their massive obesity as a limitation of the quality of life or suffer from the reactions of their environment.
In people with obesity, the rate of depression and anxiety disorders is increased. Numerous studies on obesity have shown that a large BMI is associated with a shortened life expectancy.
Obesity: BMI and fat distribution
The risk of complications associated with obesity depends not only on BMI, but also strongly on how obesity spreads:
- Meanwhile, it is known that the so-called apple type, in which the fat stores are around the middle of the body (and thus also on the internal organs), has a particularly high risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- The type of pear, on the other hand, where the fat pads are more comfortable on the hips and thighs, is less at risk.
In general, the waist circumference serves as a rough indicator - in women, this indicates an increased risk from 80 cm, in men from 94 cm. By the way: A physically fit man with a higher BMI is probably at a lower risk for complications than someone with a slight overweight who never moves.