The fourth decade of life is for many in the sign of family planning. But the job should not be neglected. For the preparation of healthy food is therefore hardly time in the rush between work and family life. In couple relationships, where both parents work full-time, mothers (or even fathers) spend 55 minutes a day preparing food for the family. This is about 40 minutes less than the inactive mothers.
This does not mean that the structure of family meals is lifted in families with working parents. However, the meal pattern shifts towards the common hot meal in the evening. Rather, the working mothers need to develop time-saving strategies to keep the family well fed and optimally healthy. Not infrequently your own concerns and your own healthy diet are left behind.
The little quirks of the daily diet
Even in this age group too often animal food is used. Per week, not more than 300 to 600 g low-fat meat and sausage and 3 eggs (including processed eggs in pasta, pastries, etc.) should be on the menu. In contrast, the herbal products, especially those from whole grain cereals, could be consumed a little more frequently. Try it, if you come to the recommended amount:
- 4-6 slices of wholemeal bread or 3-5 slices of bread and 50-60 g of cereal flakes
- 150-180 g brown rice or 200-250 g whole wheat pasta or 200-250 g potatoes (each cooked)
- 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day
And, how about you?
Folic acid in the daily diet
Special attention should be paid here to the supply of folic acid. This is too low by recommendations in all age groups. Of particular importance is the folic acid intake for the female persons with a desire to have children, since sufficient folic acid supply is important in order to avoid serious damage in the development of the child (eg neural tube defect, "open back").
Good folic acid suppliers are leafy vegetables (eg spinach, lettuce), asparagus and wheat germ / bran. Since the intake of food is usually not sufficient to reach the recommended intake in the case of infertility, an additional daily intake of about 0.4 mg with appropriate folic acid preparations is useful.
Lack of time versus healthy diet
The hectic everyday life often leaves little time for shopping and cooking food. In addition to work and other responsibilities, preparing food first and foremost needs to be quick and practical. Since the healthy fresh food has ever give way to a fast food. In these situations, the "something-is-better-than-nothing-nothing" applies. Complete a ready meal or sandwiches with a salad or raw vegetable sticks. After the pizza, add a fresh fruit salad or pieces of fruit for dessert.
Spice up the ready meal with fresh ingredients:
- Place fresh tomatoes on the pizza about 8 minutes before the end of the cooking
- Add fresh sprouts, pepper strips or frozen vegetables (peas, carrots) to the China pan
- To rice pudding out of the bag fit fresh steamed apples or warmed frozen fruit
Ready meals - what should be considered?
Ready meals are available in a wide variety of compositions and processing stages. When choosing dishes, pay attention to some important points:
- Prefer low-processed, frozen foods (vegetables, fruits, herbs). These generally contain more vitamins than canned products.
- The main ingredient in ready meals should be vegetables, fruits, pasta, rice or potatoes. Pay attention to the list of ingredients: the ingredients are listed in descending order of quantity, ie the food that makes up the largest share comes first.
- Take a look at the nutritional information per serving: A full meal should be max. 600 to 800 kcal and the fat content max. 40 percent of the total energy.
You can calculate the fat content using the following formula: (9.3 x fat in grams / energy in kcal) x 100 = percentage of fat in percent
Organization is everything
Shopping costs a lot of time and is very annoying, especially under time pressure. Therefore, use clever stockpiling. Then you are also well prepared for unforeseen events (eg unannounced overtime).
- Create a generous supply of good-to-eat foods. These include z. As potatoes, wholemeal pasta, brown rice, oatmeal, wholemeal flour, nuts, H-milk, margarine.
- Fill the freezer with frozen vegetables / fruits and wholemeal bread.
- Buy a supply of fresh fruits and vegetables (eg nectarines, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers) once or twice a week. This keeps in the fruit and vegetable compartment of the refrigerator a few days. Apples, pears, cabbage, carrots and leeks can be stored in cool, dark rooms for up to several months.
- Remember to always have enough mineral water and fruit juices in the house.
Well prepared is half cooked
With the right preparation, you can save a lot of manipulation and thus precious time.
- Mix a serving of granola from whole grain oatmeal, unsweetened flakes, nuts, sunflower seeds, etc. Milk and some fruit will quickly make you a healthy breakfast. Ready mueslis are rather unsuitable because they have a high sugar content and therefore many calories.
- The salad dressing with salad can be prepared once a week in larger quantities. A vinegar / oil dressing is stable for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Get used to cooking twice the amount. Store the rest in the fridge for the next day or freeze the leftovers.
Put a handful of healthy lightning recipes on the table in 30 minutes if you need to be completely fix.