Most Germans decide daily for their cup of coffee - after all, we drink 73 million cups a day for Germans. Each cup of coffee contains 100 mg of caffeine. When we enjoy the hot beverage in moderation, coffee has very positive effects.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, coffee slowly but surely prevailed in Europe. First coffee was drunk for breakfast, later more and more with the other meals. The popularity of coffee is based mainly on its stimulating effect. This effect of coffee can be attributed essentially to the caffeine and chlorogenic acids contained.
Caffeine content in coffee
A coffee bean contains between 0.8% and 2.5% caffeine. The caffeine content in coffee is also determined by the contact time of the water with the powder. In the usual amount - no more than four cups a day - there is no health risk. Despite all efforts, it has not yet been possible to establish a complete balance of all components of the coffee, because its chemical composition is extremely complex and depends on a variety of factors.
Secured is the stimulating effect for the circulation. The blood vessels are dilated, the heart rate is increased and the circulation of all organs is improved. Caffeine also affects our respiratory center - it accelerates breathing and expands the bronchial vessels. Caffeine also acts as a diuretic and leads to increased urination (diuretic effect). In general, one can say - coffee boosts the entire metabolism. In addition, it increases the calorie consumption, but is no problem for the figure with zero calories.
Coffee makes you happy
The coffee bean has an amazing effect on our gray cell: the brain circulation is increased - and thus the concentration. The speed of reaction and receptiveness of our brains are also increasing. Coffee is a "wake-up" - after a cup of coffee we are again more attentive and concentrated than before. Coffee makes you more creative, intelligent and enduring, which does not necessarily mean that it robs us of sleep. So, some of two cups get better in the late afternoon, while others make only one cup drowsy.
The big advantage: there is no caffeine addiction in the sense of an addiction. The stimulating effect is about 30 to 45 minutes after drinking coffee. Recent studies have shown that the best effect is to consume the caffeine in small doses throughout the day rather than in a large cup in the morning.
Who benefits from the coffee enjoyment?
Coffee lifts the mood, promotes a good mood and ...
- Seniors benefit from better cerebral circulation and can often fall asleep more easily with an evening cup of coffee.
- Caffeine has a vasodilating effect, which is why it is also used pharmaceutically: for headache, asthma, heart failure, morphine poisoning.
- Those who like to drink coffee and worry about their cholesterol need to know that it depends on how you make the coffee. The consumption of filtered coffee has no effect on blood lipid levels. Only with unfiltered variants (eg espresso) do substances enter the body that influence the cholesterol level.
- Recent research shows that regular consumption of coffee reduces the risk of getting gallstones by 25 percent. Roast substances in coffee act as so-called antioxidants. The chlorogenic acid in coffee may prevent colon and liver cancer.
- Coffee can also be a "digestive aid". A coffee or espresso after eating stimulates the gastric acid production and bile secretion - so the stomach and intestine get back into shape.
- It is well known that caffeine can improve endurance performance during physical activity. Useful for athletes are the "awakening" effect and stimulation of breathing by the coffee ingredients. However, whether the degradation of fats leads to increased fat burning, is still unclear. Caffeinated drinks should be drunk before training, but are not suitable as a fluid replacement after exercise.
Coffee: unhealthy effect when ...
Caffeine also has negative effects, but only in higher doses. It comes then to tremor, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, under certain circumstances also to anxiety attacks. People who are extremely sensitive to the effects of caffeine then suffer from sleep disorders, upset stomach or the above symptoms. Other people on the other hand can tolerate large amounts of caffeine without any problems.
- Coffee is an "acid relaxer", which means that gastric juice production is stimulated. So if you have a sensitive stomach or are already suffering from a stomach, you should restrict your coffee consumption to two cups a day.
- Over time, the nerve cells get used to the existing caffeine. If the coffee enjoyment is suddenly stopped completely, headaches can occur. But these sound off again after a few days.
- Coffee should be enjoyed by nursing mothers or pregnant women only to a small extent. A cup of coffee a day during pregnancy does not harm the unborn child.
- People with osteoporosis should drink coffee only with milk.
- If you have serious heart problems, you should talk about your coffee with the doctor.
- Black and green tea - healthy enjoyment
- Energy drinks: harmful to health?
- Guarana: caffeine from the jungle