The head is roaring, the nose is running, the neck is inflamed. Who does not know the symptoms of a cold. In order not to let it get that far, you should train your immune system and fall back on some proven measures. We have put together the best tips for you to prevent a cold. In addition, you will also find suggestions on what to do if you have caught the cold.
Prevent colds: 12 tips
The most pleasant cold is the one that does not break out. Because colds are usually unpleasant: The body is weakened by the pathogens and you feel tired and tired.
However, with a few simple tips you can prevent a cold well. Particularly important is a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, so that the body all vital vitamins and minerals are available in sufficient quantities.
There are many more tips to protect yourself from a cold:
- Drinking tea: Teas such as ginger, elderberry or linden flower tea, which stimulate the immune system, are particularly suitable.
- Sufficient vitamin C strengthens the immune system.
- Getting out in the fresh air every day helps the body better adjust to the cold temperatures. But do not go outside with wet hair.
- Stay out of the public, if possible, to avoid contagion.
- Warm-cold alternating showers invigorate and activate the immune system.
- Wear appropriate clothing for the temperatures.
- Sport boosts the immune system.
- Sufficient sleep, avoid stress.
- Avoid dry heating air and ventilate sufficiently, avoid draft.
- Regular sauna visits, hot foot baths.
- Substitute 15 to 30 milligrams of zinc daily.
8 tips for a cold
If the cold has caught you then the following tips can help you to relieve the symptoms of the common cold and get rid of the annoying cold or the unpleasant sore throat as quickly as possible:
- Drink a lot to release the persistent mucus. This is best served with still water or honey-sweetened herbal teas such as thyme or sage tea.
- Ginger tea strengthens the immune system: pour a few slices of fresh ginger root with boiling water, leave to taste and sweeten with honey.
- Eat enough and balanced to provide the body with all the essential vitamins, minerals and proteins.
- Zinc is involved in many metabolic processes of the human body and is essential for optimal functioning of the immune system. Among other things, zinc protects the mucous membranes and can thus make the penetration of viruses more difficult. Zinc does not only arm the immune system against a possible cold, it also helps when the first symptoms are already noticeable.
- A hot bath with essential oils helps to relax and clear the respiratory tract.
- Avoid dry heating air, otherwise the mucous membranes will dry out and the viruses will be able to carry out their work more easily. Simply put a bowl of water on the heater, add a drop of essential oil, which will replace any room perfume. In addition, ventilate several times a day so that the air in the room does not become too stuffy.
- Even in case of a cold (not with fever) go out into the fresh air and take walks, but keep warm.
- Avoid stress, so the body has the necessary strength to fight against the virus.
Home remedies for colds
When you have a cold, you do not have to see a doctor directly, but you can treat cold, cough or sore throat first. If the cold lasts longer than a week or if the temperature rises to the fever area, you should go to the doctor.
These home remedies can help you get rid of the cold as quickly as possible:
- Rinse the nose with salt water to moisten dried up mucous membranes.
- Honey has an antibacterial effect and can effectively combat bacteria in the mouth and throat.
- In case of cold, inhale with salt water or essential oils to dissolve the mucus.
- In case of cough, an onion syrup helps to relieve the symptoms: Roll an onion and sprinkle it with sugar. After an hour, take the juice that has formed.
- Gargling with chamomile tea has a positive effect on sore throats: chamomile tea disinfects the neck and helps to heal the inflamed areas.
Recipe for an anti-cold drink
With the following recipe you can mix a healthy anti-cold drink. The cold drink provides you with important vitamins and minerals and thus strengthens your immune system:
- 100 ml carrot juice
- 100 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 sea buckthorn juice
The trunk should be drunk at room temperature before bedtime . This is also a good time to take a zinc supplement. In addition, a cup of honey-sweetened elderberry or lime blossom tea should be drunk daily.
- Cold: symptoms
- Flu or influenza infection?
- The best home remedies for cold