Strawberry Time! The red delicacy laughs again of market stalls and plantations and offers one of the healthiest pleasures of the summer. Most people can not get enough of strawberries, and that's not necessary: strawberries consist of 90 percent water and, with their amazingly low nutritional value of 32 kilocalories per 100 grams, provide plenty of vitamins and minerals.
Are strawberries healthy?
Strawberries taste delicious and are an ideal "slender fruit". Of course, this is only valid as long as you do not dip them in whipped cream or sugar. It is best to enjoy pure strawberries or a yoghurt sauce sweetened with a little honey. Then strawberries are not only a complete pleasure, but also a valuable contribution to a healthy diet.
Here are six reasons why strawberries are so healthy:
- Strawberries contain more defensive vitamin C than oranges.
- Nutrition experts have been using them for their high content of folic acid and iron since ancient times against anemia .
- The high calcium content protects the bones from osteoporosis.
- Potassium and magnesium protect the heart.
- Strawberries contain salicylic acid, which relieves symptoms of gout and rheumatism.
- Secondary plant compounds from the group of phenolic acids protect against cancer and prevent atherosclerosis.
Strawberry: ingredients of one serving
ingredients a large portion of strawberries (250 grams) at a glance:
- 80 kilocalories
- 1 gram of fat
- 40 micrograms of folic acid
- 162.6 milligrams of vitamin C
- 62.6 milligrams of calcium
- 37.6 milligrams of magnesium
- 362.5 milligrams of potassium
Shelf life of strawberries
Because of their high water content, strawberries are sensitive to pressure, perishable and quickly lose their aroma. Therefore, caution in transport and storage is paramount. Loosely spread, undamaged fruit will last for one to two days in the vegetable compartment of the refrigerator.
To wash, douse the whole berries briefly in cold water and pat gently dry. In order not to dilute the aroma, it is advisable to remove stems and leaves only after washing. Fresh strawberries not only taste better, they are also healthier. The contained vitamins and phytochemicals suffer from long transport times. One should therefore prefer strawberries from local regions.
- Tips for the berry time
- Store fruits and vegetables properly
- From apple to zucchini: Everything stays fresh