What could be better than enjoying a refreshing ice cream on hot days? But how many calories does the cold treat bring? And what is actually contained in the ice cream? Every German licks about eight liters of ice cream a year, says the statistics. 85 percent of the ice cream consumed by Germans is produced industrially. The rest is made in ice cream parlors. As a rule, they still produce the ice cream according to their own recipes today. Meanwhile, you can choose between over 70 ice flavors.
The most popular ice creams
According to a new poll of 14 percent each, the favorite ice-cream tastes of all respondents are stracciatella and chocolate. 13 percent prefer to eat nut ice cream or yoghurt ice cream. This is followed by the flavors lemon and vanilla, each with 8 percent.
Ice cream is about -4 ° C when consumed. Already in the mouth it heats up to about +18 ° C. When it reaches the stomach, it almost reaches our body temperature. So you do not have to be afraid of a "cold belly".
Ingredients of ice cream
The main ingredients are milk or milk products as well as sugar and eggs. In addition, water, butter or vegetable fat and colorings and / or flavorings play a role. For the special flavors come then still fruits, cocoa, nuts, chocolate, etc. to it. Depending on the variety, there are also some vitamins and minerals in the ice:
- Ice cream is made from sugar, milk, cream or butter. Ice cream must contain at least ten percent milk fat, which makes the cream nice and creamy and soft.
- Milk ice cream consists of 70 percent milk and thus has a lower fat content than ice cream. The high milk content is healthy, as milk contains a lot of calcium - this strengthens bones and nails.
- Cream ice cream contains 60 percent whipped cream. This ice cream is therefore very high in calories with 17 percent fat.
- Fruit ice cream consists of sugar, water, fresh fruit, fruit pulp or fruit juice, with a fruit content of at least 20 percent.
- Sorbet even contains 25 percent fruit unless acidic fruits such as lemons are used. Then the fruit content is 15 percent.
- Soft ice cream is a frothed ice cream that is sold immediately after it has left the freezer.
Calories in ice cream
The calorific value of ice cream is between 100 and 500 kilocalories per 100 grams. Low-calorie are ice creams and sorbets as well as yoghurt-based varieties. Chocolate and nut ice cream are a calorie-rich fun. An ice lolly with chocolate shell brings it to almost 300 kilocalories. The mostly high energy content of ice is due to the sugar and fat content: cream ice cream contains 17 percent fat, ice cream about half. Milk ice - mostly for popsicles - contains about 3 percent fat, soft ice cream up to 6 percent.
The sugar content varies, depending on the ice variant. But it is always higher than normal tempered food, since cold is perceived as less sweet. There are about 20 percent sugar in ice cream and as much as 24 percent in fruit ice cream. The good news: Four to five scoops of ice per week keep nutrition experts in normal weight for harmless. Ice creams with a high fat content such. As cream or Nusseis, should all avoid those who must pay attention to their calories.
Can ice cause a headache?
According to a report by the British Medical Journal, every third person feels a sharp pain in his head just a few seconds after the first licking. These headaches are triggered in warm weather, for example, by ice cold drinks.
Normally, this cold headache does not matter much and settles down quickly. The occasional enjoyment of a refreshing ice so nothing is in the way.
Ice cream already tasted the ancient Greeks
Ice cream is far from being a modern invention. As early as 2, 000 years before Christ, a chilled meal was produced. However, from glacial ice or snow, the pulp and milk was added. The Greeks mixed from the snow of Olympus, honey, fruit juices and wine an exclusive jelly. It was not until the 16th century that it was possible to artificially produce cold and freeze ice and maintain it in this condition.
- Water ice: a low calorie refreshment?
- Energy drinks: harmful to health?
- Make iced tea yourself